Charities and Volunteering
Bishop & McKenzie’s story is closely tied to Alberta’s rich history and its strong pioneering spirit. We share our clients’ dedication to enriching this province by actively supporting our community.
Individually, our lawyers volunteer with many community organizations and initiatives, including arts boards, sports groups (able-bodied, disabled and Paralympic), professional, civic and municipal agencies.
As a firm, we are proud to have supported the following organizations in the past several years:
- University of Alberta
- University of Calgary
- MacEwan University
- Edmonton Community Legal Centre
- Canadian Mental Health Association
- St. Joseph’s College, U of A
- Newman Theological College
- Scouts Canada
- Catholic Archdiocese of Edmonton
- Sturgeon Community Hospital Foundation
- Pilgrims Hospice Society
- Stollery Children’s Hospital Foundation
- Breast Cancer Society of Canada
- Alberta Cancer Foundation
- Canadian Cancer Society
- Alberta Lawyers’ Assistance Society
- Winnifred Stewart Foundation
- Free Will Players Theatre Guild
- The Mustard Seed Edmonton
- Habitat for Humanity
- YMCA, Welcome Village
Bishop & McKenzie has established multi-year commitments to provide scholarships to MacEwan University’s Legal Assistant program, and also to provide various scholarships within the faculties of law at the University of Alberta and the University of Calgary. These include:
University of Alberta:
- The Edward E Bishop Prize in Securities Law
Awarded annually to a student in Law on the basis of superior academic achievement in the subject of Corporate Securities.
- The Bishop & McKenzie Prize in Corporations Law
Awarded annually to a student in Law for outstanding achievement in
Corporations Law (LAW 451).
- The Bishop & McKenzie Centennial Bursary
Awarded to a student with satisfactory academic standing entering any year of the LLB degree program in the Faculty of Law. Recipient will be selected on the basis of financial need. Funded by partners of Bishop & McKenzie LLP in honour of the centennial of the founding of the Bishop & McKenzie LLP law firm.
University of Calgary
- The Bishop & McKenzie Centennial Prize
Awarded to a third-year or graduating student achieving a high standard of performance in LAW 649.27: Advanced Civil Procedure. Funded by partners of Bishop & McKenzie LLP in honour of the centennial of the founding of the Bishop & McKenzie LLP law firm.
For more information:
U of C - Bishop & McKenzie Centennial Prize