Bishop & McKenzie offers a wide range of opportunities at its offices in Edmonton and Calgary.
Our support staff are immeasurably important to us. The values they exude in their work elevates our operations every day. Their commitment to excellence, effort and respect for people is exemplary and humbling.
We want our team of personnel to have integrity, civility and an appreciation of the importance of a balanced life. Our lawyers strive to create an environment of co-operation that sets the tone for agreeable, encouraging relationships with support staff. It’s an approach handed down from our founding partners themselves.
Bishop & McKenzie is always looking for conscientious and capable people to join our team. Please send your resume to our Human Resources department.
Bishop & McKenzie LLP Edmonton is currently accepting applications for an assistant to assist our Commercial Lawyers and Paralegals.
We are looking for a full time, enthusiastic, motivated person to work in a fast-paced environment.
The successful candidate will be a process-oriented person with strong customer service skills. The role includes responding to inquiries and performing a variety of searches for many team members. For a candidate with a great attitude, initiative, and a willingness to learn, further opportunities develop a career with more responsibility is a natural next step.
- Responding to requests for information;
- Opening and preparing new files;
- Processing various searches and legal documentation;
- Scanning and filing electronic documents;
- Drafting and preparing of accounts; and
- Critical thinking and problem solving.
- Positive attitude;
- Willingness to follow standardized processes;
- Clear communication skills, including proper grammar;
- Data entry proficiency with a very high level of accuracy;
- Exceptional organization;
- Ability and willingness to work independently and as a team player;
- Willingness to learn, adapt and streamline processes; and
- Understanding of real estate transactions;
- Experience at a legal firm or department, registry office or bank;
- Knowledge of basic legal concepts, principles, and terminology; and/or
- Legal Assistant certification.
Bishop & McKenzie LLP is currently accepting applications for a Residential Conveyancing paralegal in their Edmonton office. We are looking for a full-time, highly motivated person to provide exceptional support to our lawyers and clients.
- Prepare residential real estate files from opening to closing
- Process purchase transactions, prepare mortgages, refinancing and supplemental documents, processing trust funds, report to mortgages and purchaser in a timely manner
- Prepare sales transactions, obtaining payouts, trust letters, and reporting to sellers on closing dates
- Monitoring the flow of daily correspondence and reviewing searches
- Communicate with clients, banks, mortgage brokers, realtors and lawyers by phone, email, or other correspondence
- Draft and prepare necessary requests with accounting department to deal with trust funds
- Prepare interim/final reports, client accounts and correspondence
- Book appointments
- Maintain client files and diarize critical deadlines
- At least three years of direct work experience in Residential Real Estate Conveyancing
- Superior interpersonal skills to interact with employees, lawyers, clients, departments, and external agencies
- Good understanding of legal reference materials, procedures and legal filing systems, trust letters, statements of adjustments, purchase, and sale documentation
- High level organization, time management, sound and independent judgment, critical thinking, reasoning, and diplomacy
- Meticulous records maintenance skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team
To thrive in this challenging role, you will embrace variety and have excellent communication, problem solving and interpersonal skills. Familiarity with Lawyer Done Deal Real Estate and ProLaw software would be an asset.
Bishop & McKenzie LLP Edmonton office is currently accepting applications for a Legal Assistant to assist lawyers practicing in various areas of Litigation.
This includes a wide variety of legal and administrative duties, preparation of legal documents and correspondence, and responding to inquiries is essential for this role. Familiarity with ProLaw software would be an asset. We are looking for a full time highly motivated person who enjoys working in a busy and challenging work environment providing exceptional support to our lawyers and clients.
The successful candidate should have General Litigation experience. Broad and thorough knowledge of litigation concepts and principles is essential to this role.
- Capable of handling busy practice with tight timelines and priorities;
- Drafting outlines of court documents and pleadings for lawyer review;
- Drafting correspondence and records to clients;
- Open and prepare new files for lawyers;
- Perform a variety of searches for files;
- Assist with general practice including filing records, service of documents, and scheduling Court dates;
- Assist in pre-trial and trial preparation including maintenance of all trial binders and limitations;
- Organize and maintain a diary system with lawyer for client files;
- Frequent contact with clients and other parties; and
- Drafting and preparing of accounts; and general administrative tasks including dictation, office, and file management.
- 2-5 Years Legal Assistant Experience (minimum 2 years’ litigation experience)
- Strong knowledge of Provincial Court and Queen’s Bench Litigation process;
- Knowledge of basic legal concepts, principles, and terminology;
- Ability to apply critical thought to litigation process and anticipate upcoming steps;
- Excellent communication skills appropriate for professional environment;
- Ability to balance and prioritize competing demands and timelines;
- Meticulous records management skills;
- Ability to work independently and be self-driven; and
- Ability to support other team members and work collaboratively.
To thrive in this challenging role, you will embrace variety and have excellent communication, organization, problem solving and interpersonal skills for a professional environment. Familiarity with Eclipse would be an asset.
Our firm is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values, respects, and supports different lived experiences and perspectives. We offer a full benefit package, holiday entitlement in the first year, and an employer contributed RRSP.
Bishop & McKenzie has stringent In-Office COVID-19 protocols (including mandatory vaccinations) in place to ensure all employees and their families stay safe and well.
We would like to thank all applicants: however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please send your resume to the attention of Deborah Samagalski at firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Resources Contact
Director of Human Resources
Bishop & McKenzie LLP
2300, 10180 - 101 St. NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 1V3