Bishop & McKenzie offers a wide range of opportunities at its offices in Edmonton and Calgary.
Bishop & McKenzie LLP is currently accepting applications for an Unsecured Collections Legal Assistant to join their team in either Edmonton or Calgary.
We are looking for a full-time highly motivated person to provide exceptional support to our lawyers and clients in a busy department. To thrive in this challenging role, you will embrace variety and have excellent communication, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Responsible for managing a portfolio of unsecured collections files
- Communicating directly with clients in a professional manner
- Preparation of pleadings
- Drafting various types of correspondence.
- Conducting various types of searches
- Registering encumbrances at Land Titles and PPR
- Determining payment plans with debtors
- Calculating balances and administering payments
- Preparing and sending weekly billings
- Legal Assistant certificate/diploma or equivalent experience
- 1 - 5 years in a legal assistant capacity
- Experience in a litigation or collections legal assistant capacity an asset
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment within deadlines
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically, Outlook, Word and Excel, as well as document management systems
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work as a team player
- Detailed records maintenance skills
- Strong customer service orientated
- Experience in using Prolaw and/or Techcom systems would be an asset
Bishop & McKenzie LLP Calgary office is currently accepting applications for a Paralegal/Legal Assistant to assist lawyers practicing in the areas of General Litigation and Foreclosure.
We are looking for a full time, enthusiastic, motivated person to work in a busy department with a team of lawyers.
The successful candidate should have General Litigation experience with broad and thorough knowledge of litigation concepts and principles. Foreclosure experience is also an asset including knowledge of the process from demand letter to final order and ability to respectfully communicate with debtors.
Salary is negotiable depending on the experience of the successful candidate.
- Capable of handling busy practice with tight timelines and priorities;
- Drafting outlines of court documents and pleadings for lawyer review;
- Drafting correspondence and records to clients;
- Open and prepare new files for lawyers;
- Perform a variety of searches for files;
- Assist with general practice including filing records, service of documents, and scheduling Court dates;
- Organize and maintain a diary system with lawyer for client files;
- Frequent contact with clients and other parties; and
- Drafting and preparing of accounts.
- Minimum 5 Years Legal Assistant Experience
- Strong knowledge of Court of King’s Bench Litigation process;
- Strong knowledge of the Foreclosure process, or ability to rapidly learn;
- Knowledge of basic legal concepts, principles, and terminology;
- Ability to apply critical thought to litigation process and anticipate upcoming steps;
- Excellent communication skills appropriate for professional environment;
- Ability to balance and prioritize competing demands and timelines;
- Meticulous records management skills;
- Exceptional organization; Ability to work independently and be self-driven;
- Ability to support other team members and work collaboratively; and
To thrive in this challenging role, you will embrace variety and have excellent communication, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
Our firm is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values, respects, and supports different lived experiences and perspectives.
We offer a full benefit package, holiday entitlement in the first year, and an employer contributed RRSP. We would like to thank all applicants: however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please send your resume to the attention of Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our support staff are immeasurably important to us. The values they exude in their work elevates our operations every day. Their commitment to excellence, effort and respect for people is exemplary and humbling.
We want our team of personnel to have integrity, civility and an appreciation of the importance of a balanced life. Our lawyers strive to create an environment of co-operation that sets the tone for agreeable, encouraging relationships with support staff. It’s an approach handed down from our founding partners themselves.
Bishop & McKenzie is always looking for conscientious and capable people to join our team. Please send your resume to our Human Resources department.
Human Resources Contact
Bishop & McKenzie LLP
2300, 10180 - 101 St. NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 1V3