Bishop & McKenzie offers a wide range of opportunities at its offices in Edmonton and Calgary.
Bishop & McKenzie LLP’s Edmonton office is currently accepting applications for a Legal Assistant to assist lawyers in its Litigation department.
This position includes a wide variety of legal and administrative duties, preparation of legal documents and correspondence, and responding to inquiries. We are looking for a full-time, highly motivated person who enjoys working in a busy and challenging work environment and who can provide exceptional support to our lawyers and clients.
The successful candidate should have General Litigation experience. Broad and thorough knowledge of litigation concepts and principles is essential to this role. Familiarity with ProLaw and iPro software is an asset.
- Capable of handling busy practice with tight timelines and priorities;
- Drafting outlines of court documents and pleadings for lawyer review;
- Drafting correspondence and records to clients;
- Open and prepare new files for lawyers;
- Perform a variety of searches (Land Titles, Corporate, PPR) for files;
- Assist with general practice including filing records, service of documents, and scheduling Court dates;
- Assist in pre-trial and trial preparation including maintenance of all trial binders and limitations;
- Organize and maintain a diary system with lawyer for client files;
- Frequent contact with clients and other parties; and
- Drafting and preparing of accounts; and general administrative tasks including dictation, office, and file management.
- 2-5 Years Legal Assistant Experience (minimum 2 years’ litigation experience)
- Strong knowledge of Court of Justice and King’s Bench Litigation process;
- Knowledge of basic legal concepts, principles, and terminology;
- Ability to apply critical thought to litigation process and anticipate upcoming steps;
- Excellent communication skills appropriate for professional environment;
- Ability to balance and prioritize competing demands and timelines;
- Meticulous records management skills;
- Ability to work independently and be self-driven; and
- Ability to support other team members and work collaboratively.
To thrive in this challenging role, you will embrace variety and have excellent communication, organization, problem solving and interpersonal skills for a professional environment.
Our firm is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values, respects, and supports different lived experiences and perspectives. We offer a full benefit package, holiday entitlement in the first year, and an employer contributed RRSP.
We would like to thank all applicants: however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please send your resume to the attention of Bailey English at email@example.com
Human Resources Contact
Bishop & McKenzie LLP
2300, 10180 - 101 St. NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 1V3